Features of hyperthyroidism are different for people. Hyperthyroidism is common in many people. The thyroid gland is located in the neck and it produces hormones that regulate metabolism. This article reveals the meaning(definition), symptoms, management with medication, diet, and surgery, and also the complications of hyperthyroidism.
FEATURES OF HYPERTHYROIDISM
Hyperthyroidism is the hypersecretion of thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) and it is characterized by an increased rate of body metabolism. The major features of hyperthyroidism are described in this article.
SYMPTOMS OF HYPERTHYROIDISM
The main features of hyperthyroidism and symptoms of hyperthyroidism this disease are weight loss, anxiety, irritability, nervousness, difficulty in sleeping, mood changes, increased sweating, rapid pulse rate or palpitations, tremors, fatigue or tiredness, cannot tolerate to heat and exophthalmos (protrusion of one or both eyes anteriorly).
HOW TO MANAGE HYPERTHYROIDISM
The features of hyperthyroidism are also depended upon how to manage the hyperthyroidism.
1. Take adequate rest, if you have hyperthyroidism.
2. Provide a cool and quiet environment.
3. Check the weight daily because of weight loss.
4. Provide a high-calorie diet. In addition, people with hyperthyroidism need to take low iodine-rich foods such as seafood, seaweed, and iodized salt. Eat a balanced diet such as fruits, whole grains, proteins, and healthy fats. You can eat vegetables such as broccoli, sweet potato, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, and collard greens. Fruits include apples, bananas, blueberries, cherries, blackberries, strawberries, and apricots. You can eat some food that contains fats such as coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, avocado, almonds, brazil nuts, and cashews. The food contains protein such as organic eggs, organic beef, organic processed meats, organic chicken, organic pork, and wild-caught fishes
Limit alcohol and caffeine contents which may lead to worsening the sign and symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Moreover, you must avoid refined carbohydrates such as bread. And also, avoid some oils such as sunflower oil, corn oil, canola oil, and safflower oil.
5. Avoid the administration of stimulants.
6. Administer antithyroid medications, such as methimazole or propylthiouracil, that block thyroid synthesis as prescribed.
7. Administer iodine preparations that inhibit the release of thyroid hormone as prescribed.
8. Prepare the client for radioactive iodine therapy, as prescribed, to destroy thyroid cells.
9. If hyperthyroidism cannot be managed by radioactive iodine therapy and antithyroid tablets, may need subtotal thyroidectomy.
10. Elevate the head of the bed, if you are experiencing exophthalmos.
11. Encourage to use of dark glasses, and tape eyelids closed at night if necessary.
12. Hyperthyroid people may express concerns about body image changes and healthcare teams must support them and clear their doubts.
COMPLICATIONS OF HYPERTHYROIDISM
If people do not take proper treatment for this disease, it may lead to many complications. Features of hyperthyroidism also include the complications of hyperthyroidism.
1. Eye problems: some of them face eye problems such as double vision, and bulging eyes called exophthalmos. Eye problems are associated with one of the features of hyperthyroidism.
2. Heart problems: Some people with hyperthyroidism may develop rapid heartbeat and heart palpitations so people need to consult with a cardiologist. Heart problem is also associated with the features of hyperthyroidism.
3. Thyroid storm: A thyroid storm is an acute and life-threatening complication that occurs in a client with uncontrollable hyperthyroidism. Signs and symptoms of thyroid storm include elevated body temperature (fever), nausea, and tremors.
In addition, in this modern era, people are facing hypothyroidism as well. The symptoms and features of hypothyroidism are different with hyperthyroidism.